Me, Aaron and John today, and it was just going to be burning off the pile of brash from Saturday, but it was a bit wet so we lost about half an hour waiting for the fire to really get going.
So we decided to remove some of the canopy, and got a little bit carried away!! This let loads of light in, even on this drab day. I can hear the cries of all the tree lovers out there, but these are poor quality trees that are all too close to each other, so have become very spindly and are choking each other.
We were chopping quicker than we could burn, so the area looks very untidy. However, we can burn all this off on another workday, so don’t panic if you see broken trees all over the ground. We will keep specimen trees and because these will have the space to fully flourish, the net effect of the ones that we remove will be lesser.
We have not chopped at ground level because it is hard work to get down on the ground with just a hand saw. I may drill holes onto the trunk and hammer copper nails into them to kill them off.
We now have three clearings. Birdbox Cutting, Picnic Cutting and Bear Cutting. We need to keep the path between these cuttings clear, which is relatively easy, and then balance our time on across the three clearings. The priority is to finish Bear Cutting. This is the one that will give us the best return on our efforts, due to the south facing bank, and needs to extend all the way to The Bear pub. Picnic Cutting is not too bad and just needs to be brush-cut and tidied. Birdbox Cutting needs to be extended north and south and brush-cut.
I am going to walk the two mile length of the greenway this week and put together an action plan for work over the winter.
It seems like there is loads to do at the moment, but another great workday and another step forwards.