We had a problem with getting the fire started due to the matches being damp. We pushed a load of the brash up to the top of the bank to create a sort of shabby dead-hedge screen and left the rest in loose piles ready for throwing on the fire and burning on Sunday. I will get some new matches and kindling ready for Sunday and I will take care of finishing off what we started today.
The difference when we had finished cutting the trees down was fantastic. Loads of light coming in and hitting the ground.
Working in a cutting got me thinking about the woodland feel that we are trying to keep to block out the view of the Western Relief Road, I think we can clear the banks a lot more aggressively and maybe try to hedge the top of the cuttings. People will never see the road unless they climb to the top of the cutting, and then they will see it anyway because the top of the cutting is pretty much the edge of the greenway. Maybe something worth thinking about for next season.
Looking forward to Sunday!