Well it was a nice dry day, we had the brush cutter so it seemed like this was going to be a mammoth workday. Unfortunately, the brush cutter decided that it did not want to start, after it had used its first tank of petrol.
I think it was flooding and I did not have my spark plug spanner to dry it out. Eventually it got going again, but I wasted a lot of time and energy messing about with it.
We had a good turn out today with five of us. Dave and his wife tackled the bench, which was looking good, whilst Chris, Phil and myself continued with the clearing.
What I am trying to do, is cut scallops into the west bank. Because the path runs north/south on this bit, the south facing bit of each scallop should become a micro-habitat for insects, butterflies and flowers. The clumps of scrub also create a windbreak along the path.
These are the three scallops that I managed to get cut today. The pictures don’t really do them justice, but hopefully you get the idea.
Thanks for all who came along today, nice to see some new faces.
Next workday is Monday 30th March at 9am. This is the last one where we can do scrub clearance, due to the bird-nesting season starting. I will give the brush cutter a service and we can try and push on.
After this, workdays will be just cutting back anything that starts to grow over the pathway, clearing nettles, picking up litter and general maintenance.